TeleStory – Child-Friendly Video Visitations
A FREE reading and visiting program for children with a parent in the Ashland County Jail
TeleStory is a FREE video visitation program for children under age 13 who have a parent in the Ashland County Jail. Video visitations are now available from locations at the Vaughn Public Library in Ashland and the Bad River Library in Odanah.
TeleStory visitations provide children and their jailed parents an opportunity to connect using books, games and toys.
What can I expect during a TeleStory visit?
- A welcoming, child-friendly space in a local library, ideal for one caregiver and one or two children.
- A 30 minute visit with access to books, games and toys to use during the video visit. The jailed family member will have access to the same materials.
- A visitation coach who will be available to answer questions and offer suggestions for helping the visit go well.
- A free book to take home!
Schedule a Video Visit
Weekly video visits are available in 30 minute sessions at the Vaughn Public Library in Ashland, WI and/or the Chief Blackbird Center in Odanah, WI. Visits are by appointment only, with limited days and hours.
To schedule a visit, contact: Extension Ashland County, (715) 682 – 7017, Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm.
Is it a Good Idea for my Child to Visit?
- Did the parent care for the child prior to incarceration?
- Was the child well cared for and protected by the jailed parent?
- Is the parent hoping to reunite with the child following release from jail?
- Is there potential for a positive relationship, even if parent-child reunification is unlikely?
If you answered Yes to any of the above, visits might benefit your child. Visits are important for children because:
- Children love and miss their parent, and they worry about their parent.
- Visits can reassure children that their parents are okay.
- Visits maintain the unique and special parent-child bond.
When you sign up for a TeleStory video visit, you will be given tips for how best to prepare your child and ideas for making the visit go well.
TeleStory is brought to you by:
The TeleStory name and concept is developed from the Brooklyn Public Library TeleStory Program.