2019 Ashland County Cleansweep ● Thursday, August 22nd
Ashland WITC Campus, south parking lot, 3pm – 7pm
Northwest Wisconsin residents and farmers can properly dispose of their hazardous chemicals. There is no charge for most materials for households & farms (see list below). Residents can dispose of unwanted medications for free at the Ashland collection site.
Step 1: Gather your hazardous waste, including:
- Oil & solvent-based paint, lead paint ● Stains, shellac, varnish, wood preservatives ● Roof coatings, driveway sealers ● Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, poisons ● Automobile transmission & brake fluids, antifreeze, degreasers ● Household cleaners, acids, corrosives, pool chemicals (chlorine) ● Aerosols ● Solvents, thinners, turpentine, adhesives, kerosene, lighter fluid, gasoline ● Rechargeable batteries (must not be leaking): Ni-Cad, Ni-MH, or laptop ● Metal halide & button batteries ● Mercury batteries, thermometers, mercury, thermostats ● Lead fishing tackle ● PCB Ballasts.
Step 2: Gather unwanted medications (only collected at the Ashland location):
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications including pills, capsules, ointments, liquids, sprays, creams, inhalers, vials and drops. Black-out or remove personal information on containers.
Step 3: Farms & businesses must pre-register by calling the Northwest Regional Planning Commission, 715-635-2197.
- Agricultural Program covers the first 200 lbs. of chemicals from farms for free.
- Businesses, governmental units/agencies and schools are charged a small disposal fee.
Step 4: Swing by a Hazardous Waste Collection – Cleansweep location near you and drop off your acceptable items.
The Ashland County collection is on Thursday, August 22 at the WITC Ashland Campus, 2100 Beaser Ave, Ashland, WI 54806 south parking lot, from 3-7pm.
We can not collect electronics or appliances this year.
- Empty or dried out paint cans
- Latex paint
- Motor oil
- Vehicle batteries
- Explosives or flares
- Freon 11 & 12
- Radioactive materials
- Compressed gas cylinders (larger than gas grill size)
- Alkaline batteries
- Sharps / needles
- Medical or infectious wastes
- Spray Foam Cylinders
For options for disposing of these items see the Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Guide 2019 (8 page, PDF)
Questions? Contact Extension Ashland County, 715-682-7017, or the Northwest Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission.
2019 Poster for Reference: