FoodWIse, previously called Wisconsin Nutrition Education Program (WNEP), is funded by the USDA and is designed to provide nutrition education that helps limited resource families and individuals choose healthful diets, purchase and prepare healthful food and handle it safely, and become more food secure by spending their food dollars wisely. Ashland County sites include: elementary schools, senior centers, Head Start centers, youth clubs, food shelves, and more. To find a class near you or to discuss new opportunities, call the Extension Ashland County Office. To learn more about FoodWIse in Wisconsin see the state website.
Stephanie LaPointe Bakker serves Ashland, Bayfield, & Iron Counties as the Nutrition Education Coordinator – Marisa Perlberg serves as a Nutrition Educator for Ashland, Bayfield, & Iron Counties
Stephanie helps to ensure that nutrition educators across Ashland, Bayfield, & Iron Counties:
- Introduce children to new fruits and vegetables and teach them why they are important.
- Teach parents how to buy, plan and prepare healthy meals.
- Engage families with limited resources in support of choosing healthy diets while stretching food dollars.
- Support communities in making the healthy choices where people live, learn, work, play and worship.
FoodWIse made a big impact in Ashland County in 2021! For an overview of Community Impact, see the 2021 FoodWIse Annual Report
- Food & Nutrition Information Center (USDA National Agricultural Library)
- Fight BAC!® Partnership for Food Safety Education
- Gateway to U.S. Government Food Safety Information
- Nutrition.gov (Guide to Nutrition & Health Information on Federal Government websites)
- USDA Food Safety Information
- USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- American Dietetic Association
- American Heart Association
- American Diabetes Association
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Nutrition & Physical Activity information from US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- FDA Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition
- Food Safety & Health (UW Extension Food Safety and Food Preservation Information)
- National Center for Home Food Preservation (University of Georgia)