In this issue we feature New Growth, Old Traditions, a farmer focus, and Clean Sweep for 2021.
What’s in your soil? or Manure? or Forage? Don’t guess, get a test done. This website has instructions on taking samples, sending your sample off and the fees for each item.
Featured publication: Soil Compaction: Causes, Concerns, and Cures (A3367)
Soil compaction caused by working wet fields can cut crop yields for years to come. Soil scientists Dick Wolkowski and Birl Lowery show the impact on plant growth and yield, offer details on diagnosis, and suggest ways to minimize or avoid the problem as well as how to correct compacted soils. Order copies or view the PDF at the Learning Store.
Related resources for Extension faculty and staff only: Life in the Soil (#18014) To understand the rationale for sustainable agriculture, one must grasp the critical importance of soil. This video depicts in vivid color what life is like in the soil at the microscopic level. It is a living, fragile medium that must be protected and nurtured to ensure its long-term productivity and stability. VHS VIDEO (30:00).
- Available to order from the Cooperative Extension Media Collection.
- Pesticide certification and licensing information
- Find pesticide products registered for use in WI
- Locate WI licensed dealers and licensed application businesses
- Find WI certified applicators (by name, by county, by category)
Pesticide Applicator Certification System (PACS) – (608) 224-4560
PACS is an automated phone system to assist applicators. You may also access the information online.
- Exam score (first-time certifying applicators will need their score sheet number)
- Certification expiration date
- Categories currently certified in
PAT Websites and Contact Information:
- Information on manuals, training, and the different categories.
- Commercial applicators may order training manuals, videos, register for sessions
- Private applicators may order the Fruit Crops and Greenhouse & Nursery manuals, and the subcategory manuals (General Farming manual only from Extension office)
- Click on Ag/Crop to view/print agricultural and crop protection labels and MSDS
- Click on T & O/NonCrop to view/print turf, ornamental, and non crop labels and MSDS
- From the CDMS homepage, click on ChemSearch, a subscription-based service purchased by PAT for agents’ use. Username and password are case sensitive
- Label search for product type, crop, or pest
- Condenses full labels to 1-2 pages of summaries
- Compare 2 products side-by-side
- Find WPS, DPT, SARA information
- WPS Information
- Sept. 2005 version of How-to-Comply manual (pdf)
A range of research projects have been conducted to provide data and information that will hopefully help you with your farm businesses. Research is an important part of successful agriculture and we thank the many cooperators that helped with these research projects. The following Research Bulletins are available for viewing and download:
Research Bulletin 33- 2014 Corn N Trial (pdf, 171 KB)
Research Bulletin 29_Corn PSNT Validation Trials (pdf, 536 KB)
Bayfield Fruit Trials (PDF)
Cropland Lease Agreement – Word Document
Standing Forage Purchase Agreement – Word Document